JE Engineering as an organisation has existed since 1975. The current senior management have been closely involved with the company for nearly 30 years. Over the decades we have treated warranty issues with ‘common sense’ and worked with customers to find the best solutions we can, on the occasions when faults have developed in cars on which we have worked. In recent years there has been a trend towards an increasingly confrontational and uncooperative atmosphere when occasional problems occur with the cars, so it has become necessary to write this document to clarify the limits of warranty applicable to products and installations from JE Engineering Ltd.
Firstly, any modification made to the standard specification of a car is made because a customer wishes to achieve something different from that which they found to be possible with the standard car. Clearly if the performance of the car is changed, there may well be aspects of the performance of the car which alter in negative ways as well as positive ways, in the opinion of the vehicle user.
Secondly, it is also self-evident that JE Engineering is not an organisation which has the resources to thoroughly test conversions in all possible environments and with all the possible ‘driving styles’ of potential users, so any use of the vehicle should be approached with care and due attention to the development of possible problems, so that they can be addressed before serious damage occurs.
Thirdly, although JE Engineering endeavours to ensure the suitability of its products when applied to otherwise standard vehicles, we cannot know whether our products are compatible with other alterations made to the vehicle either before or after the JE Engineering products are fitted. Again, any use of the vehicle should be approached with care and due attention to the development of possible problems, so that they can be addressed before serious damage occurs.
Finally, JE Engineering Ltd. does not have a network of dealers around the world, so if we are to carry out any work under a warranty claim, in principle, this work can only be done in our workshop in Coventry, so whether the customer resides in Baginton, Warwickshire, or Manapouri, New Zealand, the problem and cost of returning the product to our workshop rests entirely with the customer.
JE Engineering will always attempt to be helpful and reasonable in seeking to resolve problems with vehicles, but if the situation is to be dealt with through legal representation, the following will apply as part of the contractual agreement.
1) Any claim for warranty must include the invoice number of the relevant original work carried out by JE Engineering Ltd., and its date.
2) The warranty claim can only be made by the original customer for the product as invoiced. No second owner or other entity is entitled to make any warranty claim.
3) The warranty is absolutely limited to the repair of defects of our materials or workmanship as solely determined by JE Engineering Ltd. No claims will be accepted for consequential losses of any sort, or associated losses of any sort.
4) For warranty work to be carried out, any vehicle or part must be returned to the Siskin Drive, Coventry, workshop of JE Engineering Ltd. in a condition as close as possible to the condition in which it originally left these premises.
5) Where a claim rests essentially in a matter of opinion on the altered performance of the vehicle, JE Engineering Ltd. will listen to this opinion and attempt to optimise the performance of the vehicle as far as possible, as solely determined by us, allowing for the state of the art within JE Engineering Ltd.
6) The warranty will cease to apply (and can never be re-applied) in any way, as soon as the vehicle is used for any extreme purpose. This includes competition use and testing in a competition environment, towing a trailer where the weight exceeds the rated weight for the standard vehicle, use of the vehicle when the loaded weight of the vehicle exceeds the rated weight for the standard vehicle, any type of arduous off-road use where the techniques of driving differ significantly from normal on-road use, use in any sort of extreme environment, and many other potentially challenging circumstances. If a customer is in doubt, JE Engineering Ltd. can offer advice, but it is up to the customer to decide about vehicle use, and it is solely up to JE Engineering Ltd. to determine whether any particular use is beyond the terms of the warranty.
7) Where a part must be replaced, JE Engineering Ltd. can use a new or a reconditioned part at its sole determination.
8) Where any work is carried out and/or parts are replaced under warranty, the newly implemented work and parts take on the remainder of the initial warranty period and mileage, and do not initiate any new warranty timing or mileage.
Implications of the above include :
a) We will not accept any liability for defects in parts supplied by the customer or by third parties, whether we fitted the parts or not.